G-L-A-M-O-R-O-U-S


By far the earliest memory I have of music was in preschool. I went to this really small preschool called The Little Red Schoolhouse in Florida. We were a very wild group of kids and when nap time rolled around, it was a nightmare. The teachers couldn’t calm us down even hours after trying. One day, one of the staff showed up with a bulky radio. When nap time rolled around, she plugged it in and got the tunes rolling. I don’t remember any of the names of the songs, but they weren’t nursery songs. More like slow breathy love songs. That’s the best way I can describe it. A guy would sing some deep heartfelt line and in her high voice, the female would respond. It’s a very distant memory but sometimes when I hear something similar it takes me straight back.  I don’t even know what genre of music it fits under, but I do know that was probably my first recollection I have of music.
Other early memories I have are when I would jam with my grandma. In particular, the song “Glamorous” by Fergie. My grandma, who lives in Florida, used to have this white convertible Mustang. We often went on random rendezvous and usually, the journey was more fun than the destination. We would roll down the top and turn the music up all the way. My grandmas’ audio system had a bass dial in addition to the normal volume dial, so we cranked that all the way too. This caused not only the car to vibrate, but also the road. It was fun to just immerse ourselves in the music and belch the lyrics as loud as possible. The simple days.
Also, with my grandma were dance parties in the living room. This time, Adele. When her album dropped, 21, we immediately were fans. Grandma bought the album and hooked it up to her stereo in the living room. After listening to it calmly a few times, we grew comfortable with it and started our jam sessions. We danced to almost every song in a row. Exhausted after the album ended, we collapsed on the floor of the room we had just destroyed. We laid there for a while, just chit-chatting. I wonder now if the dance parties were just a way to tucker me out because like stated before, I was a very energetic kid. If so, kudos to her. I still like to dance every now and then. Not anything good or coordinated, but rather something that exerts a lot of energy. It’s nice losing yourself in the loud music to forget about all the Uni stress.
My final favorite old memory of music was an Illinois car jam sesh. My mom and I were on the way to drop my sister off at school. I somehow remember that it was a chilly morning, probably late October or early November. We had the radio on a local channel, 94.5, which is the pop station. A song came on called “Party Rock Anthem” by LMFAO. I was repulsed. It had this techno 80’s vibe. My younger self didn’t understand how radios worked or that 94.5 was a pop station, so immediately I accused my mother that this was a weird song she listened to in her youth. She laughed and proceeded to turn the volume up higher. I’m still not a fan but I just remember this older memory of music vividly.





Comments

  1. For me, one of my first memories of music was when we'd listen to Michael Jackson in the car because that's the only CD we had. We also listened to desi music. When Adele's album came out, we got the CD for it and we'd listen to that in the car too. Now I'm obsessed with music. I have to have my headphones wherever I go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog post was very fun to read. You are able to take the reader chronologically through how you have been immersed in music. I love reading about your different experiences, and love how you fail to lose your voice when writing. Great blog post, and I am looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good god, Glamorous by Fergie must be the song to define this generation. That single bop has had more cultural impact than probably all of the Beatles' discography. I still have parts of the rap memorized and I haven't listened to it in years. You deserve ~nothing~ but all the finest thi-ii-iings for this blog post Dani.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only music we would listen to in the car was Arabic music because that's what my parents listened to, but my dad also really liked listening to country music. I hated country music, and I still do, so whenever we would go on a road trip and my dad would start playing it, I would plug my ears and close my eyes to force myself to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, I understand that it's an objectively kind of bad song, but I don't understand how you listened to "Party Rock Anthem" without immediately feeling pumped. That and Dynamite by Taio Cruz were staples at every elementary/middle school dance I went to. Also, I really liked reading about your jam sessions with your grandma. My only memories of music involving my grandparents are of the times when I was forced to give impromptu violin recitals for them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Whole New Sport

pessimism

YAYA